Tuesday, March 17, 2009

This post is just because this is an awesome piece of script, brilliantly delivered by Robert Downey Jr in 'Charlie Bartlett'.

Basically RDJ's character is a principal who has just been fired, and he is standing on his balcony thing, drunk, holding a handgun and occasionally shooting it at the toy boat in his pool. The character of Charlie (who was the main reason RDJ was fired), just invited him to the school play, and is with him on the balcony.

RDJ: Ohh, this better be good Charles.
Charlie: Um...I came to invite you to the play.
RDJ: Well thank you for that, but I am just a little bit tied up right now.
Charlie: What are you doing?
RDJ: Venting. Just venting a little bit.
Charlie: Is that you're new 'word of the day'?
RDJ: Here shit is. (fires his gun at the boat) Word of the day, venting. Explanation, it's kind of how I deal with my little life's frustrations. I vent. As in to vent, original derivation from latin exventaray. (fires gun again)
Charlie: Jesus!
RDJ: Everybody needs to vent a little now and again, don't you figure. Some of us are privileged enough to vent to you in the boys room stall and the rest of us just have to settle for less conventional methods like, I dunno, a bottle of booze and a handgun. (he fires his gun accidentally, and Charlie covers his ears and shouts in fear) God, I'm sorry. I'm not putting you on edge with my behaviour am I?
Charlie: That's alright. Um...Maybe you could put the gun down...(he stands)
RDJ: Park it, chuck. (Charlie sits) Because you're not aware of this, I'm entirely displeased with you right now. I was racking my brain to figure out why and I think it's because you've taken everything from me, why did you do that? D'you have anything enlightening to say to me now 'coz if you do, I'd appreciate if you spit it out.
Charlie: I don't know.
RDJ: Maybe some of that post pubescent psycho babble. Maybe a little pearl wisdom.
Charlie: I don't know what to say to you. I don't know how to help you. I really want to.
RDJ: (shouting) Come on doctor, what've you got for me?!
Charlie: I don't know...I don't know what you want from me-
RDJ: - I don't need you to say anything to me and I don't need you to save me. (fires gun at the boat)
Charlie: Alright then what am I supposed to do in this situation? I'm just a kid. I'm just a stupid kid.
RDJ: Stop the fuckin' presses, run that by me again. You're a what?
Charlie: I'm just a kid.
RDJ: I get it. It's tough, I was a kid once too.
Charlie: (groaning) Fuck.
(Charlie puts his head in his hands. RDJ puts the gun to the side of his head in despair and turns around.)
RDJ: (whispering to himself) ...don't care what happens...
(He lifts his arm up in an arc, and Charlie thinks he is going to shoot himself.)
Charlie: NO!
RDJ: What are you-
(RDJ spins round and hits Charlie with his arm. Charlie falls of the balcony and knocks himself unconcious on the diving board, falling into the water and sinking to the bottom of the pool. RDJ dives in and pulls him to the surface.)



No comments:

Post a Comment