Thursday, February 4, 2010

Drama A2 Devised Performances.

Well, they're over. Personally, I don't think I could have done any better with my performance - I literally gave it everything, and my all.

Our run-through in our allocated time was a mess, we had to start again because no one was focused and then just as we got to the OCD scene, we realised we hadn't been telling Neil when the lighting cues were, so we had to do that until our time was up.

This meant that whilst Laura and Anne's group were up on stage, we were doing our run-through in the music block. Which was exactly what I'd hoped wasn't going to happen, although I knew that it would. Half an hour before an exam you do not want to be thinking about changing facial expression or where you're standing or the order of movements.

So we set up as quick as we could, as we went last, and we were eager to get going and get through it. We stood in the centre of the stage and did some breathing excercises to calm ourselves, and had a group hug and said a few words. We went and stood behind the newspaper rostra whilst everyone came in, the lights went out, and we started.

Opening Tableau - We'd been having trouble with these, character-wise. The first one especially. It was important to get the speed right in order for the rest of us to be in position ready to catch Lillie. We nailed it. In my bit, where I'm 'attacked' and thrown off a bridge, using physical theatre, worked nicely and the transition into Lowri's tableau was neater than it had ever been.

Birthday Party - We cut the cake in rehearsals. It wasn't working. So Lowri had to change her line, and we all had to make sure we remembered our cues. I'd previously forgotten to say 'what you gonna wish for?' in rehearsals, but luckily it all went smoothly as well. Actually, that's a lie. When Lillie tried to move the cake down the table, she pulled the cardboard under it and the cake fell off and sat nicely on the rostra. Lillie quickly shoved it back on and continued with the scene. Nice save.

'The Bulimic' - Lowri's big scene, and also the comedy moment in the performance. Thank God everyone laughed, because if they hadn't then we would have suffered. The movement was nice, and all in time with each other.

Drug Addicts - The best performance of the M2M we've done. Hands down. The energy was perfect and everyone went 110%. It was my favourite of the two movements. The transition into Lillie's big lift was perfect. Usually, we barge into each other and make a mess of it, but this time it was quick and neat and precise into our positions, ready to go.

OCD Silhouette - I forgot which tape to pull, so I yanked them both and luckily the sheet fell and Ed and I got into position. I loved the toybox movements, both because they looked fantastic and also because Ed and I are behind a sheet, allowing us a few precious seconds to get our breath, get composed and go into our argument. I loved the argument. I just did. No more to say.

Authority Control a.k.a Me and Ed's BIG Scene - No word of a lie, a week ago I was dreading this. After the dress rehearsal, Rolo told me she could tell I was 'struggling' with my character. This scene required Ed and I to jump between four characters in the space of a couple of lines. I had to go from patronising vicar, leading a funeral where Ed would take over into policeman, and then I had to into my monologue as the grieving mother. Before the performance, I realised if I don't go for it now, I won't ever. So I did. I went for it. I gave it everything. I pushed myself into tears on stage, biting back my words, changing pitch and tone to emphasis my loss. When I felt the tears, that's when I knew it was going better than I'd ever hoped. I then had to go into 'angry male friend' after Ed's two lines, somehow channeling a bit of Ray Carling (Ashes to Ashes) into my accent and belting out my lines. I was later told that I made people jump - brilliant.

Final Ali and Becca Confrontation - They'd been struggling with their duologue. But they pulled it off perfectly. Me, Lillie, Lowri and Ed's movements were fine, although I tended to struggle in rehearsals with the behind the back twist moment, and removing the tape at the end, that all went fine as well.

Losing Control - I caught Sheps' eye during this, and she was wearing a light frown, and I thought 'oh God, she doesn't like it'. But we went for it, all of us. Ed was ripping down the newspaper, and Ali and Becca continued with their movements until the almighty clatter that was Becca slapping him in the face and Ali falling to the rostra. I delivered my line, we said our final, choral 'do you expect me to believe that?' and the lights dimmed, and went out.

Relief, euphoria, and a little bit of sadness all washed over me, and the rest of our group at the end. Immediately, we were swamped in hugs and compliments.

Extreme self-importance coming up - Along with people like Melissa telling me it was the best bit of acting she'd ever seen me do, Dad's thumbs up, the hugs, the 'it was brilliant, fantastic', Miss Horn telling me she was 'so proud of me' etc. came the news that I'd not only made Rolo cry, but I'd managed to make Sheps, the feared head of Drama, cry as well. For a couple of moments, all I could think was 'I made our examiners cry, I made our examiners cry, I made SHEPS cry', and then I just laughed and laughed, drank my diet coke, and headed off out with everyone else to Cafe Masala.

I was on cloud nine. I still am. The best performance I've ever done, hands down. And I'm just so happy, so so so happy.

2 comments:

  1. YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY

    YAY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Shepherd cried.
    Miss Rowlands cried.
    While Miss Horn sat there and said 'Ha ha dead children.'

    You pulled that performance right out of the bag.

    ReplyDelete