Saturday, December 26, 2009

SHERLOCK HOLMES
What follows will be a mixture of nonsensical rambling, fangirling and in some parts, actual analysis.

I didn't care that I went alone. It didn't matter to me at all. I was so damn excited. Beyond words. This entire year, everything I've read, the research into the books and the characters, the images I've collected, the clips I've watched - all of it has been leading up to this.

I loved it. It sure as hell didn't let me down. I was hooked inside of the first two minutes, and at points I didn't even realise I was clenched up until I let out my next breath. It was different. And screw all you people who just want to scrunch your face up and say that they've ruined the books and the stories - it's an adaption. Of course it's not going to be exactly the same as the books. Anyway, there almost certainly has to be a sequel, they talked too much and there were too many nods, hints and moments about Moriarty for there not to be.

"Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
It did, however, include dialogue from the novels - which made me grin - slotting them in so that you'd barely notice they'd already been written and read a million times before.

It had comedy, which was fantastic. But not in a stupid, slapstick way. It was clever with it, and all of it was necessary in the bigger picture. As with Holmes, everything is done for a reason. Even if it includes exploring his mastery of disguises or testing sleeping drugs on the dog.

The soundtrack was (and is) brilliant. It's been done by Hans Zimmer, so what do you expect? I ran pretty much from the cinema to HMV after the film to buy it, and I'm listening to it right now. The cinematography was gorgeous. It looked stunning, especially the night scenes on the river.

"Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent."
And obviously I can't write about the film without bringing up Robert Downey Jr. You can really tell he had fun with the character. He poured bits of himself into the character. He was funny, he was clever, he had all the little characteristics that make a good Holmes and he certainly looked the part. I love him. I just do. He was just what you want in your Holmes, totally reckless but completely brilliant.

The costumes were gorgeous, the props were brilliant, the stunts were fabulous but most of all the characters were believable. I don't know if that's just because it's me saying it, but it was just a fantastic, fun film.

The only problem with it was the fact that it ended. I'll DEFINATELY be going to see it again.

But for now, I'm happy knowing I was the first one, on national release day, in Guy Ritchie's home town (Hatfield) to buy a ticket for Sherlock Holmes.

3 comments:

  1. YAYAYAY, I WILL GO AND SEE IT and that is all because it sounds amazing from what YOU have written :) Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! There was a point on Boxing Day when I remembered you were going to see it and thought how terrible it would be if it had been a disappointment.

    Now I REALLY wanna go see it! Sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete