Sunday, January 9, 2011

On Thursday night I found myself back in our old school hall. It was, it has to be said, a little unusual to go back after that many months, not half because I think it became clear very early on who had changed and who hadn't. The first thing that became apparent was the awkwardness. It was like walking back into Havana for Prom, where at the beginning everyone just stood in the doorway and didn't seem particularly enthused with the idea that we had to all talk to each other.

As if we'd just come in for a CED Day, everyone sat instinctively around tables with the people they'd been with throughout their school days. There wasn't much "oh hey, come over here, what have you been doing?", more "wow, her arse got fat".

When they started reading out who was studying what, it also became obvious that our school had produced a obviously odd ratio of those doing scientific subjects to those doing English/literature based subjects. Neuroscience, Physics, Mathematics, Anthropology, Geography etc. were all choices that seemed to be announced with every other person. In a room of about 60% of our year, I was the only aspiring journalist. There were two people doing teaching. Laura was the only one doing Television Production. Writing as a whole was not a popular choice.

Perhaps this is because people believe there are no opportunities for those doing what my mother refers to as 'hippy subjects' like English. It's well known that scientists and mathematicians are needed in our current society. Do people really think there is no point doing something that has no guarantee of a job? Isn't that true of anything?

I've heard the phrase "don't study something you love, study something that will get you a job".

I disagree. When we chose our A Level subjects, I chose classes that I enjoyed, and that I knew I'd have fun doing. And I did. I got good grades. I don't want to spend my time forced into subjects and jobs that do not inspire or interest me. I suppose we can't afford to pick and choose, but I'd like to think that somehow I'll be able to have a career that I love.

3 comments:

  1. I concur.

    I seemed to be the only English Literature person (although I think Kieran was applying). That was a little odd seeing as there were three A-Level English classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn thats really weird, most people at my school were studying either English,Sociology or something in the science area.

    I would have though more people would decide on a degree that was more media related as it was very popular at A Levels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahem, i would just like to point out that i am doing a writing degree! ;)

    ReplyDelete