Friday, October 29, 2010

A SUGGESTION FROM BLOGBYKOBRAK:

In the first of a series of blogs in which I discuss my favourite things, I'm going to talk to you this evening about The League of Gentlemen. It seems pretty apt to talk about this, seeing as Laura and I are going to be in the presence of Reece Shearsmith on Sunday night (omdfkgjnkajfhjn!!).

A couple of years ago I had a birthday party during which my room was turned into a little cinema, with a projector playing movies onto my bedroom wall. One of these films was The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse. In retrospect, I feel a bit guilty about watching the film first as I had no idea about the awesomeness that is the television and radio shows. Many a maths lesson was filled with me and Jodie quoting Geoff Tipps ("Braille!?") and Hilary Briss ("They weren't pork...").

In comes Laura with her suggestion a while ago that I watch the first episode of the first season. The rest is history. Since then we have watched and listened to pretty much everything The League have produced. My personal favourites are probably the live Drury Lane show and Series 3. For this reason I found myself in hysterics listening to Steve Pemberton (also in hysterics) doing a fart in a haunted house last night. Or Mark Gatiss telling us about his favourite horror films. And of course, Sunday night with Reece Shearsmith. Have I mentioned Sunday night with Reece Shearsmith?

I think The League appeal to us because they are British, funny, clever and brilliant. Much like our other favourite things (Doctor Who etc.). You shouldn't really be laughing at a toad in a blender or an all too realistic (i.e. shit) theatre company, but that's why it works. Because it's so realistic. And because shouting "Miss...Cathy Carter Smith!" will never not be appropriate.

Photobucket
(From Psychoville S1 E4)

1 comment:

  1. While I was at work yesterday, there was a theatre company taking some VERY Legz Akimbo style set and props into the Maltings Theatre. I had to go into the back and have a giggle :p

    ReplyDelete