Thursday, July 23, 2009

So here I am, in Portugal, sitting in the shade under a palm tree in the really pretty garden with the hot sun beating down, my Mother to my right and an abundance of frogs and goldfish swimming placidly in ponds dotted around the site. The wind is blowing, ever so strongly and occasionally, and I can hear a lawn mower and trains going past and people shouting around the pool.

Now, not that I'm not grateful for this holiday, because I bloody am, and it's beautiful here and a nice getaway and all the things you want in a holiday, but somehow I've managed to cripple myself on the third day here.

It started as a normal day to the beach, and I was wearing swimming shorts and a t-shirt over my bikini top, and I'd slathered sun cream on. We had a 30 minute hike downwards through scrubland and dusty hills and spiky plants until we reached the beach, where we walked and found a spot and sat down and looked forward to a day in the heat. I didn't feel much pain at first, but a gradual burning sensation began to throb through my left thigh, and standing up to join Neil at the water's edge, I realised that I could barely stand up. The pain is excruciating.

Four days later, it's barely any better. Sleeping is difficult, standing is painful and walking feels like someone is pushing blades into my leg. It stiffens when I lie down, so when I stand it hurts so much that it is difficult not to cry out.

After four days, of course, people are beginning to think that I'm milking it, because it appears to come and go. Every day it is either worse or better than the day before, but so far it has shown no signs of the beginnings of the healing process.

I don't know what it is, maybe the excercise, the heat, fabric on sensitive skin, God knows, but I just bloody hope it goes away before the end of this holiday because it is making my life a misery and I can't help but feel I'm dragging everyone else down as well.

I hope it gets better before Bath, I really hope so, because right now my chances of walking and joining in look not so good.

I'm not religious, but PLEASE God, make this get better.

Not sure when I'm going to be back on here, but Hi from Portugal, and Bye from Portugal for now.

1 comment:

  1. i hope it gets better too :)

    sounds nice with all the sun, have fun!

    ReplyDelete