Wednesday, September 15, 2010

So I was watching The One Show earlier this evening, and Stephen Fry was the guest, and he made a point that triggered a stream of thought in my little brain. He was talking about how he only went to three lectures at University, because they cut into his own personal schedules. When asked what he did instead, he answered that he read books, digested them, thought about them and discussed them. That was the way he learnt.

And, since finishing school, I've found myself with this thirst for intellectuality that I can't seem to stop. Not that I didn't read before, but since getting back from Corfu I've gone from book to book to book without any prolonged pauses. Maybe it's because I have more time on my hands but I certainly didn't make time in the evenings and mornings where I'd read for an hour in the past.

I've caught myself willingly watching documentaries on BBC4 and watching the news instead of breakfast television. I'm listening to Classic FM and the BBC Proms on iPlayer in my free time. I'm reading the Money, Work and main sections of the Guardian rather than just the Weekend and Sport.

Perhaps for this reason, being told today that Luton College's Maths GCSE course is full and that I can't study there, or at West Herts (who ~helpfully told Dad and I when I went to enrol last week that they'd pulled the course a week before) is making me more depressed than I'm being told it probably should. All colleges have begun their terms.

I don't know what to do. I'm worrying.

No Maths GCSE = no Uni, no employment in my future and generally, well, nothing.

Geez, what a downer blog. I didn't mean it to be. Honest.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.stalbanstutors.com/

    St. Albans Tutors should definitely help.
    I had 2 hours of tuition a week for my A-Level French Resit, and had I not been able to take the exam in school the woman said that I would have been able to take it there. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete